12 April 2014

How to block a hat after knitting

When it comes to knitting, I've always struggled with how to block a hat after knitting.  There's no doubt that blocking your knitting makes a huge difference, but I've never really known how to do it with a hat.  When I block other 'flat' items, I usually either wet and pin to shape on a thick towel, and leave to dry.  If I'm feeling particularly lazy, and it isn't a design that stands up, then I place a wet muslin cloth over the item and lightly press.  In the past I have been known to roll a towel up, and then press a hat with my iron, again with a wet muslin, but it's not a great result.  Suddenly the other day, I got inspired.......

Blocking a knitted hat


How to block a hat after knitting

  1. First of all, gently wash your hat.  This makes it wet (obviously) but seeing as I was in this case making a baby hat, I like to give them a wash before gifting them.
  2. Gently squeeze out most of the water, try not to be too rough or you might stretch or alter the shape of the item.
  3. Hold the hat open, place a balloon in the opening, and begin to inflate.
  4. Do not fully inflate.  Blow the balloon up to the point where the hat is sitting on it completely open, but without being stretched too much.
  5. Allow to dry.
  6. Remove hat from balloon.
How to block a hat after knitting with a balloon


So there you have it, how to block a hat after knitting.  How do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment